Globe Provides the Mobile Data Extract
Finally, Globe Telecoms have provided me the data extract of my supposed usage and it was quite alarming. It shows that there were a lot of connections made but no data usage was done (Volume column). So the question would be; who or what is making or opening these connections?
This is the 3rd post in my issue with Globe Telecoms charging me with mobile data charges that I had no idea on nor have used.
So going back; who’s making or opening these connections?
A theory would be that the phone itself creates these connections to sync but fails to do so.
I find it hard to believe this theory because:
- Mobile Data is not activated (always in Off) on my phone since I’m always connected to Wifi
- I’m not aware of any apps that would automatically enable mobile data without my knowledge.
- In case mobile data gets enabled (by whatever reason), would Wifi connection take precedence over it?
- Most of the these connections occur when I’m already asleep or still at the office
So far the following have been applied as workarounds after a technician came to my home to physically check my phone for malicious apps.
- Convert me from TIME-based browsing to KB-based browsing. You can do this by sending either KB or TIME to 1111
- Changed the APN of my phone from internet.globe.com.ph to a random text
- Changed network mode from GSM / WCDMA / LTE (Auto) to GSM / WCDMA
and we continue to monitor for any new data usage charges. At least, we are getting somewhere.
Till next time,