How to Repair Outlook Data Files (PST) via Scanpst?
In my last post, I discussed on how to maintain your outlook data files (pst). In this post, I will discuss on how to repair your outlook data files (.pst) in case they get corrupted and you dread the loss of your emails (especially if you don’t have a recent backup).
First things first…
How do they get corrupted in the first place?
- Power Loss – when your computer suddenly dies while outlook is open.
- Improper Exit of Outlook – Outlook hanged and you had to manually terminate it.
- Very Large Data File – Although Outlook now supports large file sizes (e.g. 50gb), it is scary to put all your emails in one
- Incomplete transfer – Moving your pst from place to place; if the connection gets cut then the .pst also gets cut!
- Operating on large quantities of email – Working on a year’s worth of email might needed lesser clicks but it needs more processing power and more burden to outlook. It may possibly hang ..and we go to # 2.
So now that you know what causes them to be corrupted, how do we fix them?
ScanPST or better known as the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool is a neat little tool that can repair your problematic data files. It doesn’t always provide a 100% success rate and you may need to run it repeatedly on your .pst file to fix it; but it’s better than nothing.
You can find ScanPst here. (XX would be the version number of your installed Microsoft office
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX
The interface is simple.
- Run the program
- Direct it to your .pst file
- Click Start
- Optional step (it will prompt you to create a back-up file)
- Repeat until the logs says it doesn’t find any errors anymore.
The only problem here would be if you have a lot of .pst files and it doesn’t completely remove all errors which means that you have to run it again on the same .pst file. Luckily, there’s a solution via Automation. Let’s say hello to…
CscanPST (ScanPst Automation)
The instructions would be:
- Download the file from http://www.rethinkit.com/files/ScanPSTAll.zip
- Extract the files on the same folder where your outlook data files are
- Run ScanPSTAll.Cmd
Tip: Do this on a weekend or a time where you don’t need immediate access to your emails. This would take hours especially if you have many pst files and have a lot of errors to fix.
- After it starts running, just leave it and after it finishes scanning everything, notepad will pop-up with the log.
Till next time,