How to Update LG Optimus 4X HD (P880) to JellyBean?
The LG Optimus 4x HD (P880) comes packaged with Android 4.0 or better known as Ice Cream Sandwich. Around summer 2013, a firmware update for the phone got released. The P880 can now be updated to Android 4.1 or better known as Jelly Bean.
However, for some reason, it doesn’t support OTA or over the air updating so we need to do it manually via the computer. Gladly, it is very easy to do and I’m going to share with you how we did it on my brother’s phone.
Let us first do a few preparations.
Download LG Files
- USB Driver for Windows (http://tool.xcdn.gdms.lge.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=UW00120120425)
- LG Mobile Support Tool (http://tool.xcdn.gdms.lge.com/client/app/B2CAppSetup.exe)
Prepare your P880 Phone for the Update
- Go to Settings -> General -> System -> PC Connection
- Under Select USB Connection Method; choose LG Software
Updating the LG Optimus 4X HD (P880) to Jelly Bean Guide
- Install the USB Driver for Windows
- Connect your phone to your computer. Make sure it gets detected (in some USB ports; it doesn’t detect the phone but it charges it).
- Run the LG Mobile Support Tool. This might take a while to load and it might look like that it is stuck but be patient.
- Just wait for it to finish (I left it overnight as it had to download the firmware which was taking a while).
So that’s it. After I woke up, I checked the phone and it is now running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2.
I hope LG doesn’t forget about this phone and provides more upgrades to it in the future!
Till next time,