Are you a PLDT subscriber and are you experiencing intermittent internet connection? Let us do a bit of internet connection first aid before we call and complaint at PLDT Tech Support. It could just be a DNS problem.
DNS Problem First Aid
Clear browser Cache
Clear browser cache and restart your browser. Sometimes I do this as a routine reset where I would clear everything including cookies.
Do a DNS Flush
Go to command prompt and enter this command.
Restart and Power Cycle
You can restart your computer, your router and your modem. You can do a power cycle. The steps to do a power cycle are:
- Turn off your device and unplug it.
- Press the on switch while unplugged to drain any leftover power
- Wait for around 30 seconds
- Plug it back in and turn on your device.
Change your DNS Settings
If it still doesn’t work then let us try to change your DNS Settings. DNS stands for Domain Name System. It maps the domain names (e.g. silkenhut.com) to an ip address so that you can visit that website. PLDT already has their own DNS Server setup but we can change it to a different one.
There are several DNS providers that you can try. You can find a good list here [https://www.dnsperf.com/#!dns-resolvers] but I have listed a few that you can try.
Set DNS on your computer
- Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections
- You can edit the settings of the conncetion you are using. It can be Ethernet or Wifi.
- Find Internet Protocol Version 4 and double click on that
- Tick “Use the following DNS Server Addresses” and input the numbers above.
Set DNS on your router
I would recommend adding the DNS Setting to your router so that everyone that connects to it would benefit. You can For more help you may check out https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/
Notice any improvements?
After changing the settings, do another DNS flush and clear your cache. I noticed instant improvements right away and now I could surf the pages without any problems now. You can try different DNS servers as your mileage may vary. Let us know if this solved your DNS problem.
Till next time,