How to create animated gifs from movie files? | Convert avi to animated gif
This is a guide that I copied from my old wordpress.com blog. Basically, this guide will teach you on how to create animated gifs from movie files? Specifically, this will be a step-by-step guide on how to create animated gifs from avi files.
Ok Let’s Start…
::What You Need To Do::
- Open vdm(virtualdubmod) and open the avi file with it. (Ctrl-O)
- Try to locate the part where you want the clip. This can be done by playing the movie on any video player and getting an approximation of the time.
—–Example:: My example will be Episode 14 of Love Story In Harvard. I want to make a gif of her pointing her thumbs in a cute way… 😀
- Next, go to the time where the clip ends using virtual dub.
—–Example:: My clip ends at approximately 41minutes and 53seconds. It doesnt need to be exact but near to that.
- Press CTRL-G and input the values in the box labeled Jump to frame at time. The format is , XX:YY:ZZZ , X = minutes, Y = Seconds, Z = Miliseconds.
—–Example:: I would be inputting 41:53:000, see figure. 😀
- After doing that, Press the HOME key, the cue that it worked will be the little text that the bottom part of VDM.
—–Example:: See figure and the red part.
- Press CTRL-Right Arrow key and then Press END. You will notice in that some parts of the progress bar became blue…
- Press Delete…. and that blue part goes away…. We have now done 1/2 of the extraction of the video clip we want to make into an animated gif.
We have deleted the extra scenes after our clip, now let us delete the extra parts before ur clip.
- Locate the start of your clip, and go to it… remember CTRL-G?
—–Example:: My input would be 41:49:000.
- Now Press END, and the cue for doing this correctly will once again be shown in the lower right.
- Now notice the blue part again, well… just press DELETE… and we have now isolated our clip from the movie.
- Do you want to resize your clip? If NO, then move on to the next Bullet. If yes, continue reading….
—Go to Video then Filters
—Press Add then Find resize from the list.
—Double clicking on resize will show you this window… usually the values that I use are the ones that are in the pic. Click the Show Preview button for a preview… hehe
—When you are happy with the settings, OK it , and OK till you return to the main screen… 😀
- Now press F7 and save the file… Dont forget to set the VIDEO MODE option there to FULL PROCESSING MODE.
- I guess you now have a file named MYCLIP.AVI or something… well done, close virtualdubmod and let us open GIF Movie Gear
- Click on Open file and open the clip.. well.. MYCLIP.avi … after a few loading sequences, you will be shown with a screen like this…
- Now here, you can basically just go to FILE and save it as an ANIMATED GIF and you are done but I am sure that the file size will be very big. So let us make it smaller. …
- Take note of the values encircled in the pic…
None of 120 Frames :: The entire animation has 120 frames
160 * 120 :: resolution of the pic.. this is already nice and clear on cellphones.
3.60sec :: length of the animation
File size :: Size of the gif animation, 1.2mb is BIG! lol
- Basically, we need to reduce the file size… the safest way is to reduce the number of frames… follow the pic…
- Usually I just press ok, and do it again… so a total of 2 frame reductions… You can check the preview if it still looks ok or it gets choppy (CLOSE THE PREVIEW WINDOW FIRST THEN OPEN IT AGAIN AFTER A FRAME REDUCTION hehe).. when you are satisfied..Save it as an animated gif and DROOL at your gif.. nyahaha 😀